The jewellers have landed, London 2017.
Post-it notes, gold leaf
I am an artist who works mostly in the field of contemporary jewellery. I’m based in Te Whanganui-a-Tara | Wellington.
I hold a Bachelor of Fine Arts (Hons) from the University of Newcastle upon Tyne and a Bachelor of Applied Arts in contemporary jewellery from Whitireia New Zealand.
My practice is idea-driven, usually process-based and often features third-party participation. The outcome may not be traditional jewellery forms, but relationship to the body is central; for me this moves beyond considerations of wearability to include my physical endeavours as a maker.
Born UK. Lives Wellington, Aotearoa New Zealand (but 2018 – Nov 2020 based in Reading, UK)
- BA Visual Arts (Jewellery), Whitireia New Zealand 2010
- BA (Hons) Fine Art, University of Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK 1983
- Handshake mentoring project, 2011-13, Handshake 3, 2016-17, Handshake 5, 2019
- Occupation: Artist co-founder & coordinator 2013 – ongoing
- The See Here, co-founding member, 2010 – ongoing
- Jelly Arts (Community art charity): associate artist, exhibitor, studio resident, 2017 – ongoing
- Handshake in dialogue with CODA collection, CODA Museum, Apeldoorn, Netherlands
- To the Power of 3: Holybrook Gallery, Reading
- Sweet As, Jelly Arts, Reading
- Terra in/cognita |Te Ao Hurihuri with HDSC, The Crypt Gallery, London
- To the power of 3: Turbine House, Reading
- On the Go, Te Auaha Gallery: Wellington Arts festival
- Superpositions, Stanley St, Sydney
- How to Make a Necklace from a Chair, The See Here, Wellington, NZ
- The Jewellers Have Landed, Tate Modern, London
- Outside Galerie Biro, Munich, Germany
- Outside Gallery Funaki, Melbourne, Australia
- Reflect: Handshake at The Dowse Art Museum, Wellington, NZ
- Paved with Gold with Occupation: Artist, Radiant Pavilion, Melbourne
- Handshake 3, Frame Galleries, Munich, Germany
- Outside Gallery SO, London, UK
- Outside Platina, Stockholm, Sweden
- Handshake, Platina, Stockholm, Sweden
- Ahi Kā – Keep the Fires Buring, Pataka, Wellington, NZ
- Lighten up, The See Here, Wellington, NZ
- Playthings, Refinery Art Space, Nelson, NZ
- Specials, Handshake alumni, Einsaulensaal, Munich, Germany
I really should get out more (Necklace exchange) 2008.
Sarah’s necklace: Poodle wool, felted. Frankie’s necklace: Jersey pillings, felted